Sunday, March 14, 2010

Que pasa, calabasa?

So, I just realized that it has been almost a month since I last posted. Oops. For those of you who don't know, I've been having some computer issues, and thus have not been posting much (in fact, this is my second attempt at posting this one). Anyway, I'm hoping to get better at updating my blog.

I finally have a class schedule (we didn't do final registration until March 3rd - talk about being different than Wellesley). With the program, I'm taking a class on image, gender, and sexuality in contemporary Spanish cinema (AKA, watching a lot of Almodovar films), a class on the history of Islam (with special attention to Andalucia), a comparative politics course on the political institutions of Spain and the United States. As a part of the program, I have to take at least one course of "direct matriculation" into the University of Cordoba. For that course, I am taking a course at the Facultad de Derecho (which I guess would be the school of laws/rights) on the Spanish constitution. I don't have class on Fridays, which is fabulous (although, I get really confused during the weekend because I'm not used to having 3 days).

This past month has mostly been me settling in, picking my courses, and finally having a regular schedule (of course, I didn't get this regular schedule until all of my friends in the states were heading into mid-terms, haha).

I've also started taking Sevillanas, which is a lot of fun. I can't wait to dance it at Feria in May! I've also been taking the cooking courses when they're offered. The classes aren't quite what I thought - a lot more watching than actual doing. I'd prefer to learn how to cook by doing. Oh well, at least I have recipes for a lot of Spanish food (and we go to a restaurant after class to try everything that we learned how to cook in class, so I guess I can't complain if they want to feed me).

I have also been watching A TON of TV in Spanish (American movies and TV series, Bob Esponja [Spongebob Squarepants], etc.). I actually watch a lot of American series here that I don't watch at home because it's difficult for me to watch my favorite series (I keep wanting to hear the original actors' voices). I did watch The Sound of Music the other day - that was pretty great. In the song, "Do-Re-Mi," my favorite Spanish line was "Fa es lejos en ingles" (Fa is "far" in English).

Yes, so, that's about all. I'm going to Sevilla next week, and Italy the week after (I'm going to Rome and Pisa for spring break & I'm going to be in Spain for part of Holy Week. I'm really excited!). We also have a trip planned to Granada in April and there are a ton of festivals coming up in May. I can't believe I've already been in Spain for 1.5 months and I've been in Cordoba for a little over a month (and only have about 2.5 months left)!

Hasta luego!

2 comments:

  1. Nada, nada limonada! haha. Also if you are going to Pisa you must must must go to Florence or I will kill you.

    Annie PS Aix is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. RE: Florence - See my post about Italy. You may have to kill me. :P

    ReplyDelete