Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Rain in Spain (a bit lengthy)

So, I know I promised pictures, but the internet is really slow here in Madrid (well, at least in the hotel). Maybe it'll be better in Barcelona. Well, it's been a while, and a lot has happened in the past couple of days. We've been so busy that I can't believe this is only the 6th day that I've been in Spain - it feels like it's been a lot longer.

The second day in Salamanca (2/5) we had a guided tour of the city and saw some cathedrals and went to the Plaza Mayor. Later, a bunch of us went out, and found a bar near the Plaza. That day happened to be Women's Day in Salamanca. There were a bunch of old ladies dressed up in traditional clothes walking around asking men (and only men) for donations. It was quite a sight and quite fabulous.

Saturday (2/6), we drove to Madrid, with a stop in Segovia to see El Alcazar, an old palace. I climbed the 150 (?) stairs in the spiral staircase to the top of the tower. I was definitely afraid of slipping on the stairs. Later, we stopped to see El Escorial, which was a monastery (I believe).

Sunday (2/7), we took a tour around Madrid and saw El Palacio Real, which was the old palace. The last king to live there was the current king's (Juan Carlos I) grandfather. They still use the palace for official ceremonies, but it's now a museum on a daily basis. The U.S. Ambassador to Spain was taking a tour while we were there and my group happened to be in the throne room at the same time he was. Our program director introduced the group and the Ambassador said "hi" to us. It was pretty cool. After the palace, we drove around Madrid, taking a panoramic tour of the city. Later, a group of us went to the Prado Museum during its free hours. I saw Velasquez's Las Meninas, a bunch of Goya's work (including Saturn Devouring His Child, the 2nd of May, and the 3rd of May), Bosch's Garden of Earthly Delights, and I think I saw some Rubens (but I'm not sure...I was pretty tired by the time I got to that area). Anyway, it was so cool to see all of these famous works that I've studied in various classes in person. After dinner, I had planned to go watch the Superbowl, but it started at 12:30 AM here, so I went with a group to a jazz bar. It was lovely. The live band was fantastic!

Yesterday (2/8), we took a day trip to Toledo (that's Toh-lay-doh, not Toh-lee-doh). Again, we saw a bunch of churches/religious buildings. It's getting difficult to remember all of the different churches, especially since the vast majority of them are Gothic structures with Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque, and Neo-Classic decorations inside. Well, it was rainy and cold yesterday, and I was feeling a little homesick, so yesterday was not that great of a day. I was also exhausted and ended up sleeping from about 5 pm to 1 am (oops), but that didn't stop me from sleeping a full night's sleep later. I think I've finally caught up on all of the sleep I've missed (here's hoping...).

Tomorrow, we head out to Barcelona for a couple of days. I'm really excited!

2 comments:

  1. You only think you saw some of Rubens' work because I told you you must have seen some of his work - don't lie. haha LOVE YOU

    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. True...you planted the seed in my mind. I actually don't think I did, now that I've looked at his work.

    ReplyDelete